Encounter with KUST Vice Chancellor
Sometimes
what should ordinarily be a blessing may turn into misfortune. Though
scientifically, such cases hardly obey the Gausian Curve of normal
distribution. Kano University of Science and Technology could simply be
described as a cat with nine lives. The idea of its creation was conceived
since the golden days of Governor Audu Bako and later Kabiru Gaya toyed with
the same concept but it could not see the light of the day until when Kwankwaso
was elected Governor. If there is any romance between this university and the
state government, it must have ended with the departure of its founder
mentioned above.
When an
acclaimed educationist entered the field and took over the mantle of leadership
in Kano, everybody thought KUST would be a priority. Alas! I am sorry to
disappoint you, the reverse is the case. I never believed so until last week
when I attended the maiden convocation of the university; a little more than a
decade after its establishment. At the occasion where all the dignitaries were
seated including its new Chancellor, Alh Aliko Dangote, the Vice Chancellor
passed a verdict of failure on the visitor; an acclaimed educationist Governor,
Shekarau. In his speech he thanked only ETF, the organization he said built all
the new structures in the institution and sponsored many of its lecturers for
postgraduate education in the last eight years. And he added by thanking his
students ‘who endured the hardship of crowded hostels and classrooms’ in
addition to official frustration and negligence from the part of its owner
(state government).
I was
dumb-founded to realize that what he was saying is actually the truth and he
was bold enough to enumerate all the problems despite the fact that it may cause
him his job. Why would a leader kill the dream of his people just because he
missed out in the game to secure a cheap credit of being credited with the
title of the founder? Do we think this kind of mindset will bring the kind of positive
change we desire for our children and great grand ones? I made it a hobby to
peruse the state budget summary every year and I noticed that habitually KUST
is the least funded institution of high learning. Even the budget of Saadatu
Rimi College of Education is almost one and a half times higher than the KUST’s.
What a recurrent decimal!
I have
always argued that what God has destined, no one can stop it. This university
has obviously come to stay. So whoever succeeds this governor should ignore the
whispers of parochial sycophants and prioritize this project called KUST. The
idea being peddled around of naming the institution after Alhassan Dantata
should just be shelved, since it does not add any value to it except creating confusion.
I
congratulate all the graduates and their teachers for surmounting these
difficult hurdles. It is truly a titanic one to face it all alone and in
silence. Keep the spirit alive for our children’s sake!
NB: I wrote this piece on 23/03/2011 and published it on a listserv: raayiriga@yahoogroups.com
Comments
Post a Comment