Literary Fraud of the Millennium: Dissecting Cyprian Ekwensi’s An African Night Entertainment and John Tafida’s Jiki Magayi
Literary Fraud of the Millennium: Dissecting Cyprian
Ekwensi’s An African Night Entertainment and John Tafida’s Jiki Magayi
By Ibrahim Musa
In the literary world, Cyprian Ekwensi is a household name.
This holds true particularly for the volume of work he churned out within the
corpus of African literature. He was a very good story teller, especially of
the urban tale, that many people see him as a better story teller than the
Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka or even the more famous novelist, Chinua Achebe. In
a stark contrast, John Tafida can be considered a nonentity. He is not even
popular in the region (northern Nigeria) where he was born and bred, and where
Hausa, the language he wrote in is the unofficial lingua franca. The world
knows very little about Tafida who lived in the obscure Wusasa quarters in
Zaria, and wrote, perhaps, only one book in a vernacular. All these
disadvantages robbed him of a chance to popularity and even a recognition for
Pulitzer or Booker Prize, or some other award. In another contrast, the two did
not even write in the same medium (language) and there was no clear evidence
their paths ever crossed.
Why am I interested in these novelists despite that my
background has nothing to do with literature? As a physician, I should be seen
writing about diseases and cure, or on great personalities in Medicine. For
obvious reasons, I have scant interest in reading novels. My little passion for
it died with my teen age. However, from the few I have read I am left with a
puzzle that refused to get solved despite my curiosity and nagging. I learnt
how to read in Hausa language first before I could read in English. So, it was
natural that most of the books I came across early in my life were authored in
Hausa. I must confess that very few of those books left a mark on me since the
vast majority had pattern of telling stories on romance with happy ending.
Scholars of Hausa literature even tagged them as Kano market literature;
apparently a pejorative term signifying poor writing quality, juvenile
treatment of the subjects and limited creativity.
However, there was a generation of creative works before the
advent of Kano market literature which was outstanding. I can still remember
passages and snippets from Abubakar Imam’s Ruwan
Bagaja, Tafawa Balewa’s Shaihu Umar,
John Tafida’s Jiki Magayi, Gwarzo
Muhammad’s Idon Matambayi, and Bello
Kagara’s Gandoki. These five novels were
authored decades before I was born and they remain classics. They emerged out
of a literary competition organized by the then head of the Translation Bureau
in Zaria, Mr. Rupert East, in 1933. Incidentally, Mr. East himself is the co-author
of Jiki Magayi. The main drive behind that award was to stimulate culture of
creative writing in Hausa language. The overall winner, Imam, went on to become
well established as an author whose other books like Magana Jari Ce, Karamin Sani,
and Tafiya Mabudin Ilmi became must
read for every pupil passing through formal school in northern Nigeria.
It was not until 1955 when John Tafida’s Jiki Magayi was published. This
notwithstanding that it won an award in 1933. By 1962, Cyprian Ekwensi also
published his novel titled An African
Night Entertainment. These two books, by commission or omission, happened
to be exact replica of each other. They only differed in a way that one was
written in Hausa and the other in English. From the first sentence to the last
paragraph, Ekwensi appeared to have lifted and translated verbatim the work of
John Tafida. I tried to find out whether Tafida’s consent was sought before his
work was copy-pasted? I could not get a definitive answer to this query. What
is apparent to me is that there is no acknowledgement or reference anywhere to
Jiki Magayi as the original idea which Ekwensi stole and appropriated the whole
credit for himself. Nothing like that appeared in the preface or foreword of
Ekwensi’s plagiarized book.
In the Encyclopedia Britannica entry page, Ekwensi; an Igbo
man, was said to have been be born on September 26, 1921, in Minna (present
capital of Niger state). By implication, he was barely 12 years when Tafida
authored Jiki Magayi. This evidence is a pointer that Tafida wrote his book at
the time Ekwensi could not have dreamt of becoming a novelist. Ironically, it
appears that there is a grand design to lend this issue a fig leaf. This is a
clear case of literary fraud that should not be let to go without correcting
the wicked wrongdoing.
It is not uncommon in the literary world to see prominent
personalities involved in giraffe of other people’s work without proper
attribution. Even Martin Luther of saintly projection was found to have
plagiarized some sections of his dissertation. His famous speech titled “I Have
a Dream’ was also a subject of contention. Yet no single case to my knowledge
is as worst as Ekwensi’s, not even Johnny Cash’s case of absorbing Gordon
Jenkin’s lyrics in his song titled “Folsom Prison Blues” could parallel the
injustice done to Tafida by Ekwensi.
Finally, I crave the indulgence of Association of Nigerian
Authors (ANA) and National Copyrights Commission to institute a joint probe
that would unravel the mystery behind this serious distortion of literary
history, or what I choose to call literary fraud of the millennium. We owe it
to John Tafida to ensure that justice is done him and his remaining family. If
it is discovered that his work was lifted without consent or compensation,
every penny derived from that work should be given to his family. The fact that
none of them came forward to sue Ekwensi for stealing their work is a signal
that they may not be in the right frame of social standing to warrant such.
They need this compensation to pay school fees to train more Tafidas. I also
expect the federal government of Nigeria to withdraw the national honor awarded
to Ekwensi. We have seen in Germany where two ministers (defense and education)
were stripped of their PhD honors after it was discovered that they had
extensively plagiarized their work.
Dr. Ibrahim Musa
Is a specialist registrar in hematology, and a graduate
student in Epidemiology at Texas A&M University (TAMU). He currently lives
at 401 Anderson Street, College Station. Texas.
Comments
Post a Comment